Epidemium relies on different resources to achieve it's goal to fight cancer through Big Data analysis
The community that Epidemium created is what makes its true strength. It is a community that is active and keeps growing, built on a community of competent individuals, experts, partners and institutions, driven by their willingness to fight cancer and conscious of the skills and knowledge they can bring.
After the first edition of the program, Epidemium is a community of more than 700 members with heterogeneous skills and profiles (data scientists, doctors, patients, researchers, sociologists, graphic designers, etc.). It is the commitment of these individuals, each with different reasons but united in their willingness to advance research, taking part in their free time on the program, which underlined both the feasibility and the legitimacy of such a initiative.
Joining Epidemium means being part of a dynamic and varied community of people from all around the world, entering an ecosystem of experts and partners, but also having access technical tools that we made available.
- Cancer dataset: Cancer incidence and mortality tables, sources WHO. From 1953 to 2007 (incidence), 1950 to 2013 (mortality), for all types of cancers.
- Environmental data: Relevant demographic, economic, educational, health and social data from worldwide institutions : World Bank, FAO, ILO,... More than 10000 indicators across 200 countries, from the 1960s to today.
- Other data: Contribute to the whole dataset by proposing your own data, whether local or global, past or recent, medical or not.
The Epidemium platform registers all the Challenge4Cancer participants and all the projects. It is designed in order to be a collaborative tool, to associate participants with one another and to facilitate the contribution to the projects.
You can discover on the platform:
1.The profile of the other participants and:
- their description;
- their skills;
- the project(s) to which they participate;
- the project(s) they follow;
- the tasks on which they are working and their activities since their registration;
2.The projects and:
- the associated and sought-after skills;
- the corresponding team and the function of the members;
- the descriptions and the research project;
- the defined milestones;
- the tasks in progress and completed;
- the obtained results.
The platform allows you to easily get in touch with other participants, get into a project and easily take on a task.
The included tools
To help you develop your project, document it and work as a team, several tools have been directly integrated into the platform:
A data analysis and data visualization studio equipped with a large range of click-and-go tools designed to prove intuitions and construct hypothesis around datasets.
To access the service, you can start by using the free version to test your assumptions. To access the full service, please contact the Epidemium team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you start, here is some practical information: